Eaton Valley Primary School believes that Physical Education (PE), experienced in a safe and supportive environment, is essential to ensure children attain optimum physical and emotional development and good health. We intend to deliver high-quality teaching and learning opportunities that inspire all children to succeed in physical education and in developing life skills. We want to teach children skills to keep them safe such as being able to swim. We also want to teach children how to cooperate and collaborate with others as part of an effective team, understanding fairness and equity of play to embed life-long values.
Our curriculum aims to improve the wellbeing and fitness of all children at Eaton Valley, not only through the sporting skills taught, but through the underpinning values and disciplines PE promotes.
- PE at Eaton Valley Primary School provides challenging and enjoyable learning through a range of sporting activities including; invasion games, net & wall games, strike and field games, gymnastics, dance, swimming and outdoor & adventure.
- The long term plan sets out the PE units which are to be taught throughout the year and ensures that the requirements of the National Curriculum are fully met.
- Pupils participate in two high quality PE lessons each week, covering two sporting disciplines every half term. In addition, children are encouraged to participate in the varied range of extracurricular activities. Lunch time sports clubs are available each day and children can attend after school sport clubs.
- Children are invited to attend competitive sporting events within the local area. This is an inclusive approach which endeavours to encourage not only physical development but also mental well-being. These events also develop teamwork and leadership skills and are very much enjoyed by the children.
- At Eaton Valley, we have a boys and a girls football team.
- Each year, a small group of Year 6 children are invited to become Sports Leaders for the school. They develop into sporting role models for the younger children, assisting with lunch-time clubs, our annual Sports day and any other Sporting activities.
- Children in Year 4, 5 and 6 swim once a week for 10 weeks during the Spring Term. We repeat the 10 week course later in school for any children that are still unable to swim.
- We are soon to launch the “Daily Mile”, to help meet the government target of all children being active for at least 60 minutes a day.
We help motivate children to participate in a variety of sports through quality teaching that is engaging and fun. From our lessons, our children learn to take responsibility for their own health and fitness, many of whom also enjoy the success of competitive sports. We equip our children with the necessary skills and a love for sport. A large proportion of our children leave Eaton Valley with a love for physical education and a thorough understanding of what is required to lead a healthy lifestyle. Children in all year groups make at least expected progress in PE.